Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Past Couple of Days




August 25th we became the legal parents of Hu Ruo Yu (Tobias). We went as a group with the other families back to the registration office and received our official adoption certificates. Then it was off to the notary for more paperwork and pictures. Toby was a trooper but was definitely ready for a nap when we returned to the hotel. Later that afternoon I went with the other families to a place called the Lotus Center (think WalMart). The only difference is I stepped in urine at least 3 times, there is no air conditioning and they have animal carcasses hanging from the ceiling. It was an experience I'm glad I had but do not feel an urgency to go back any time soon. Toby went to bed easily but woke at about 11:30pm coughing a lot. It continued off and on for a while. I checked on him and he awoke so I brought him into our king size bed. Within a couple hours the boy had succeeded in pushing mommy so far to the edge that I had to sleep across the foot of the bed. Then he took daddy's blanket and Dave ended up with me at the foot of the bed. By the morning we were all sleeping the opposite direction on the bed. Not a lot of sleep to be had but we survived.

August 26th was a day to just hang out and relax. We hung out in our hotel room and went for a walk. We will soon head out to dinner with another family. I've been not feeling well and may have a sinus infection. Our guide has given me some sort of Chinese remedy that apparently taste like gym socks but works well. I will try it before bed tonight. Please pray for a quick recovery for me and that Dave and Toby do not get what I have.

It has been an emotional and somewhat tiring couple days as we all learn about one another and adjust to becoming a family. Toby is doing really well. He seems to be learning to trust us and gives us lots of smiles and giggles. He thinks pretend sneezing is really funny. He is most definitely a daddy's boy and doesn't like to have Dave out of his sight too much. Mommy does all the feeding so that's the one time he will sit with me and allow me to hold him. He's fine playing with me as long as daddy's also around. I suppose the one benefit for me is that Dave is now the hot, sweaty one carrying a toddler around all day.

Please continue to pray for us and also for all the families in our travel group. Some are really struggling and need to be lifted up.

No comments:

Post a Comment